Monday, September 22, 2008

My guitar is gathering dust

I've always considered myself to be music minded and creative. And not one of those over technical and detailed kinda person. But just someone who appreciates good work. Keep in mind the limited exposure. I have never been to an open air concert of any of my favorite artist. I still have that dream, but don't know when.

Since I was 12, I write my own songs and poems. Its a great feeling. I also used to compose them. Its great to find a tool of expression. Now in those times there were no blogs, no forums. I had books after books of lyrics, most of which I have lost. I think I have written songs about every event. It used to rain, something that would hurt me, when I used to be happy, I used to write a song. And I used to date them too. So now when I look back at them (the ones that are left) I know exactly when I wrote them.

I hate giving people gifts with cards that carry someone else's words. You know how everyone gives cards, with a poem written by "so and so" writer. I hate that. I always make it a point to spend some time and write my own. That's just how it is.

So coming to the topic of the title. I had bought this guitar. I just couldn't hold myself to not being able to re-create all the great tunes I hear all around me. And to play that awesome one that is inside my head, the one I just made up. But unfortunately I haven't got the "resources" to learn how to play it at this moment. I try to play it at times, with the limited number of cords I know, but I need to learn a lot more. Maybe later, everything falls into place and I will play my own music.

And so for now:

My guitar is gathering dust.
And so is a part of me,
I still hear music all around
Feel the resonance but can't see.

My guitar is gathering dust
And so is a part of my dream,
How I know there will be a day
That it will radiate from within.

:)

5 comments:

Nafisa Mahmood said...

dude you're a great poet! if i were some big-shot recording company, i would definitely take you on cos i know you would rake in big bucks with that amount of talent! beautiful poem :)

Meteor said...

you play the guitar?? that sounds great
i play the piano, and it frausrates me too when i can't play the pieces as played in my mind
btw, i'm managing to learn to play the guitar too :)

Lost in thought said...

@vanillasmush: Thank you.

@meteor: Actually, I tried to take a course, did 2 months but then I stopped learning. What kind of music do you play ?

2emkay said...

Hey keep on trying dude...just play for the love of it!!!

Meteor said...

actually i play some classical pieces >> i like classical music ;)
& i'd like to play the guitar cuz i like the spanish music

but i do play things like unfaithful, my immortal ( but still working on them)

briefly, l play anything that i like and that hits something inside me

and I agree with maddy about playing for the love of it :)

work on your lessons & wish you an enjoyable playing